Turkey will impose a partial traffic ban over the weekend to stop the spread of the coronavirus, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday.
Traffic bans will apply on weekends, but traffic will be allowed between 10 a.m. until 8 p.m., in order not to disrupt the supply and production chains, the Turkish President said in a press conference after the meeting of the Cabinet in the Presidential complex.
The partial ban already in place for people over the age of 65 has also been extended to include people under the age of 20, with the exception of those who have to go to work. They can leave their homes from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. the whole week.
The cinemas will be closed until the end of the year.
Shopping malls, markets, restaurants and hairdressers will be open from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. all week, with restaurants providing delivery service only.
Education will continue online until the end of the year, Erdogan said, adding that all sports will continue to be held without spectators.
If pandemic infections continue to rise, the measures “which had painful consequences for all of us” will inevitably return to the agenda he said.
Speaking about banning smoking on busy streets and other public places in Turkey, he said it would continue.
Last week, Turkey extended smoking restrictions across the country, particularly on busy streets and other public places due to the coronavirus.
In public and private sector workplaces, there will be flexible working hours.
Referring to the importance of the new assignments to the Central Bank and the Presidency of Strategy and Budget, Erdogan said that these changes took place at a time when Turkey is preparing for fundamental reforms in justice and the economy in line with global economic and economic policies.
He went on to say that the human rights action plan is one of the most important of these preparations.
In the coming days, the draft of the Action Plan for Human Rights will be finalized in cooperation with all economic entities in the country.